Tuesday 14 December 2010

Update on Projects

Project 1
So far with project 1, I have taken the images using the black and white film and to save time, I have developed them at a high street photo developer. I am pleased with the results but unfortunately, with the deadline for this unit so close; I will not have the chance to experiment with the negatives in the darkroom. Although this is a disappointment, I have learnt more about my film SLR and I am happy with how the images came out. With some of the images, they were out of focus as I had forgotten that I set the focus to manual with some of the frames so I can focus on a particular part of the composition. Also, because my camera was set to automatic, some of the images appear washed out and blurry. In these cases, I found that I actually quite like the way they are washed out as they have a more nostalgic feel to them.
After setting myself this mini project, I am more confident in using film photography and would like to use it more in the future to progress in new and different techniques and experiment more with different camera settings.

Project 2
In project 2, I wanted to experiment with double exposures on colour film. To do this, I was waiting to use my new Olympus OM10, but unfortunately it didn't turn up until yesterday, therefore I am not able to fulfil this mini brief before the deadline. Although I would have liked to present my images that I would of created, I will still do this and add to the blog at a later date.
With the submission, I had an alternate idea that would use some of the experiments I have been playing around with. A few years ago, I took a photo using black and white film of a friend of mine with eyes from a magazine ripped out and placed over her own. The image turned out very well, with a surreal feel to it. As I cannot find the image, I would like to recreate this image using digital photography so it can be manipulated. As the submission has the theme of fear, I would interpret the image as meaning fear of ones self and fear of fear itself. I think the connotations of this image would be very interesting and in keeping with the magazine submission. As the deadline for the submission is tomorrow, I will work on it today and send it to them tonight. I know I have let it very late to submit the image and come up with an idea but I thought it would be more important to create work that would contribute to this module and my other images rather than magazine submissions.

Project 3
With project 3, I used a small compact panoramic film camera I bought from a charity shop to create images of peoples eyes and would present them similar to how the holga images were presented in the news article I found. Upon developing these images, they were all very dark and had next to no contrast and weren't identifiable as people's eyes. This is a disappointment, as I haven't fulfilled any of my mini projects I have set myself so far to their full potential within the deadline. Although it is frustrating, I will continue to experiment with different techniques and ways of presenting my work and will add them to my portfolio on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment