Wednesday 1 December 2010

Bokeh Experiments

After watching Experimenting with Bokeh on youtube.com I was inspired to test it myself. First I made my cut out shape out of think black card. I drew around my lens, so I could get the correct size of the circle and then folded it in half and in half again to determine the centre. I then drew a small heart in the centre and cut it out with a fine craft knife. Once I made the cutout shape to put over my lens, I went outside to take some images. These are the results:

I set my camera to aperture priority mode with a 18-55mm lens. I set it to the lowest aperture I could get, F3.5, and raised the ISO to 1600. As I didn't have a tripod I had to rely on a steady hand to create clear images. Unfortunately, not all the shapes appear clear for numerous reasons: some because the light was moving and therefore made the shape blurry and some were simply because I didn't have a steady enough hand. I really like this technique and with more experimentation I would like to contribute them to a portrait because I think its would create a real interesting aesthetic.

1 comment: