Friday 22 October 2010

Start of my Foundation Degree Journey

I started this course not feeling particularly nervous because I had met my peers prior to my first day. When applying for the course, my biggest concern was not gelling in with the rest of the group as I have had difficulty with it before. Because we met before the course started I felt more comfortable and I had been in contact with them during the holidays.
I was a little apprehensive because I didn’t know how different a university course would be in comparison to the courses I have done before. I knew it would be more of a challenge and I was prepared for that but I didn’t know at what level, which made me nervous.

I am confident with media such as photography and photo manipulation, but with photography, I would like to develop my skills as I am self-taught and would love some formal training and learn how to make the most of the equipment I have. Hopefully, this will help me take better images.

As Art is my main interest, I have a lot of time for it and am constantly researching and getting ideas. I think this will benefit me as I have already gained a lot of information on artists, movements etc. that I can contribute to group discussions and add to research requirements in specific units.

I am generally okay with most media types and have the ability to learn effectively and quickly, but I would like to expand my skills in painting and printmaking because these are two media that I have enjoyed in the past and have been neglected due to my great interest in photography and photo manipulation. Also, I am not particularly confident with this media and feel I could express myself with this media.

I also think I need to work on my attitude towards certain subjects because I have a tendency of neglecting subjects I am not doing so well in and not as confident with. During the course, I will try to maintain a positive attitude to my work. Hopefully, this way I will learn more on my weak subjects and feel more positive about them.

I would really like to take up photography as a profession because it is a subject that has been a major part of my life ever since I was young when I had my first camera. I was constantly taking photos and I still am today. I really love the finished product and I feel most comfortable with this media. Other people who have seen my work have complimented my work and this has given me the motivation and reassurance that I could be successful in this industry. I would ideally like to work for myself as I am a very independent person and really enjoy doing my own personal projects. I particularly enjoy taking street photography, mainly because of my love for Robert Doisneau’s work. I also really enjoy portrait photography, especially spontaneous shots as they tend to capture the true character of the figure.

I am not entirely sure on what I want to do as a career once I have finished this course. I would like to go straight into a job that relates to my love for photography because I feel I have the capability to be successful in this industry. I am hoping that this course will teach me how to approach going into this industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment