Saturday 23 October 2010

Li Hui




I came across Li Hui in Carpaccio online magazine. I was instantly drawn to her work because of the way she makes digital photography look like film. From what I can see, I think she uses a combination of cross-processing, filters, altering curves, a level adjustments on Photoshop to create this particular look. I think this combination makes a nice surreal looking image and the use of navy blue and cream tones creates an almost timeless look, like there's no real identity in terms of time. Her work could easily be mistaken for being conceptual film-based images from decades ago.
I really like how most of her images are low contrast. This is quite a comparison to other contemporary work which tends to have a higher contrast to create a more dynamic image. With Hui's work, she gets the same reaction with low contrast effects. I also like how her images never reveal facial features, creating lack of identity for the figure in her images. This obviously isn't typical of portraiture work as identity tends to be key. She may do this to create a mystery within the image or so that the viewer may feel some relation to the figure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment