Thursday 21 October 2010

3D Object

Another task was to create a 3D object that represents me. I brainstormed my ideas and came up with aspects of my life that I want to include. They included: family, photography, favourite films, favourite musicians, places and lyrics.
For the 3D object, I came up with the idea of decorating an old acoustic guitar that has been in my house for years and hasn't been played; I wanted to give it a new life. This will also relate to the fact that I like my work to have a purpose and I like to upcycle old things and give them a new purpose whilst being decorative. Also, by decorating an acoustic guitar, it will instantly reflect my love for music as well as the kind of music I like; relaxed chilled out acoustic music.
I would reflect my other loves, interests and aspects of my life by collaging different items to represent each thing. I used a variety of media including: photographs, paint, pencil, felt pens, correction pen, markers, fabric and buttons.
 I first paper mached the guitar on selected areas so it was easier for me to decorate the guitar but so that it is still recognisable as an actual guitar and not a model.
I then painted the paper mached areas with my favourite colours. I chose a series of colours to add more interest as opposed to one or two. I added a black border around it to finish it off. Then I decorated the object using photos from a previous project (relating back to the recycling aspect of my work) and images that I found in magazines and printed off the Internet.
On the front, I had a flower I made from fabric representing my hobby of sewing. I also had images of my brother, sister, mum, dad and my boyfriend as they are very important people in my life. I also had an image of Krishna. This represented my love for Hinduism, even though I don;t practice it. He also is the most popular figure with aspects of devotion in the religion. This ties in with the devotion to my family and their devotion to me.
On the back are my loves. I have put an image of my camera because my man hobby is photography and also reflects my ambition to pursue a career in photography of some sort. I also have images of Smeatons Tower in Plymouth, Lichfield Cathedral and the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Smeatons Tower in Plymouth represents where I used to live and grew up. Lichfield Cathedral represents where I live now and the Eiffel Tower in Paris is where I would like to live because I really love the place and feel very at home there. I added stills from three of my favourite movies: Hook, Quadrophenia and Drugstore Cowboy. I have images of each of the Beatles, as they are my favourite band. I also have an image of Rufus Wainwright, who is by far my favourite musician and has been a massive influence on me. I have written my favourite lyric from my favourite song Across the Universe, by the Beatles and has been covered by Rufus Wainwright. I feel this ties everything together and also the lyric "Nothings Gonna Change My World" relates to my life. Lots of things have happened in my life and nothing is going to change my love for the things I have put on this guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment