Wednesday 27 October 2010

Carpaccio Magazine

Carpaccio magazine is an independent online magazine that puts together up and coming artists, photographers and illustrator's work. Each issue is based around a particular theme and artists submit their work based around the particular theme. The people behind Carpaccio magazine then selects the best work from the submissions and publishes them. The magazines are available to buy in print online but are limited to approximately 100 each issue.
I looked at the art in the magazine, particularly the photography, and felt that my work would suit the general feel of the magazine, so I decided I would have a go at submitting some work. This is the submission brief:


  • Issue #21: “All we have is this free fall”. This issue is inspired in “The long fall” Marlango song. This issue will be Carpaccio Magazine last issue published in 2010, so we want to celebrate all we have learnt keeping on with this project, all the friends we have made, all the awesome artists we’ve had the honour to know,… Lyrics:




  • “Make it long and take it slow / All we have is this free fall. / All we have is this long fall.”
    This issue will be published on 14th December 2010.
    Deadline: 15th November.

    I started my research by listening to the song and writing down initial ideas for compositions and subject matter. I knew instantly it would be figurative because of the emotions attached to the song. I also looked at the lyrics and drew inspiration from them by looking at each line of interest and writing suggestions on how to depict these through subject matter.
    I then looked at magazine adverts for further inspiration for composition ideas, as my idea wasn't quite clear enough in my head.


    I then went back to look at past issues of the magazine to see how the work related to the brief. Many of the works seemed completely unrelated to the brief but were still visually stunning. This made me more relaxed, so I can concentrate more on the aesthetics as opposed to the meaning of the pieces I create.

    I came across Aaron Feaver, a photographer who's work has been published in Carpaccio magazine. I was instantly drawn to his figurative work and their poses. I printed off the images that inspired me most so that when I am doing my photo shoot and I need some inspiration, I could use these as a point of reference, making sure I'm not recreating his work.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment